Sunday, 29th July, 2018 - registration now open - The DLOC Great Eastern Rally
This event is held in the grounds of Ingatestone Hall, it is NOT run by Ingatestone Hall, the owners are kind enough to allow us to use the fields for the show. Ingatestone Hall was built by Sir William Petre and his descendants live in the house to this day. Wikipedia to find out more
The Hall stands in open countryside, one mile from the village of Ingatestone and substantially retains its original Tudor form and appearance with its mullioned windows, high chimneys, crow-step gables and oak-panelled rooms and is surrounded by ten acres of enclosed gardens comprising extensive lawns, walled garden and stew pond.
As you enter the grounds you will see several entrances. The front hall entrance is on the furthest right. Car show vehicles and disabled take the centre entrance. * visit the gallery to see pictures of how to get there.
Enjoy an afternoon at Ingatestone Hall touring the eight principal rooms containing paintings, furniture and memorabilia accumulated over the centuries and wander in the ten acres of gardens. Children will love finding the pigs or the lion and if someone can tell me the name of the huge leafs in the pond I would like to know :-)
Ingatestone Hall is a Grade I listed 16th-century manor house in Essex, England some 5 miles south west of Chelmsford.
Postcode for satnav CM4 9NR Location Map from Google
We are very privileged to be allowed to use the grounds of Ingatestone Hall by the owners. Here are some details regarding accessing Ingatestone Hall.
|Season Dates||Opening Hours|
|Sun 27 Mar - Wed 28 Sep 2016||Wed 12:00 to 17:00 | Sun 12:00 to 17:00|
Disabled Access: The show is in a field. Disabled visitors can park close to the main show area by driving further down and not parking at the top (see gallery for details). Disabled Access inside the Hall is partial.
The Great Eastern Rally is a gathering of classic and interesting vehicles, which has been an annual event since it was started in 1975. 2018 will mark the 42nd rally. 2017 was the best attended event with over 160 classic vehicles of interest registered with 2 fields of classics on show.
It is a ever growing popular event for both car owners and visitors alike, held in the grounds with the stunning backdrop of of Ingatestone Hall, the historic ancestral home of Lord Petre.
Ingatestone Hall is a Tudor Manor house which will be open to the public during the rally. (separate entry fee applies) It is located in Hall Lane (a continuation of Station Road), Ingatestone (Near Brentwood), Essex. The location tab has more details such as postcode and maps.
In the past, along with a massive range of classic cars, there have been armoured cars, large limousines, ex Royal cars, cars from the dawn of motoring, micro-cars, kit cars, custom cars, busses, lorries, army vehicles, motorcycles, classic caravans, a steam lorry, a traction engine, a 1909 Daimler with (perhaps) the oldest surviving Daimler sleeve valve engine in the world, an Essex Super Six Challenger and even a boat (on a trailer).
The event is a static event where the car owners arrive during the morning, line up their vehicles on a grass field, which is enclosed on three sides by a wall and is located at the rear of the house. The vehicle occupants then meet with each other and with any visitors to socialise and discuss matters relating to their vehicles, or anything else of interest.
Owners, passengers and visitors may also choose to picnic, view the house and the grounds or visit the tea room. The grounds are stunning and a lovely area to relax.
There are toilets provided, refreshements (tea, coffee, ice cream) and good disabled access/parking. This year, 2018, a vehicle information booklet will be available for download via the gallery after registration closes, so appx 1pm Saturday 28th July under 2017. It will be a pdf you can print out at home and will greatly improve your appreciation of the stunning cars on display.
GREAT EASTERN RALLY LIST.
No. Date. Location.
0. 15th Sept 1974 Southern Rally. Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire.
1. 4th May 1975 Knebworth House, Near Stevenage, Hertfordshire. (1st G.E.R.).
2. 23rd May 1976 Knebworth House, Near Stevenage, Hertfordshire. (2nd G.E.R.).
3. 11th Sept 1977 Hylands Park, near Writtle, Essex. (3rd G.E.R.).
(There was also a two day Essex Branch rally and "village weekend" at Pleshey in June 1977).
4. 24th Sept 1978 Salisbury Hall, South Mimms, Hertfordshire.
5. 9th Sept 1979 Hylands Park, near Writtle, Essex. (With Chelmsford Samaritans).
6. 27th July 1980 Kentwell Hall, Long Melford, Suffolk. First use of the actual name
“Great Eastern Rally” by the new rally organiser John Veal.
7. 19th July 1981 Ickworth Hall, Suffolk.
8. 11th July 1982 Wimpole Hall, Cambridgeshire.
9. 17th July 1983 Anglesea Abbey, Lode, Cambridgeshire.
10. 15th July 1984 Easton Manor Farm, Wickham Market, Suffolk.
11. 21st July 1985 Melford Hall, Long Melford, Suffolk.
12. 20th July 1986 The Museum of East Anglia life, Stowmarket.
1987 & 1988 Rallies cancelled.
13. 9th July 1989 Salisbury Hall, South Mimms, Hertfordshire.
14. 22nd July 1990 Salisbury Hall, South Mimms, Hertfordshire.
15. 21st July 1991 Hyde Hall Garden, Rettendon, Essex.
16. 12th July 1992 Hyde Hall Garden, Rettendon, Essex.
17. 25th July 1993 Hyde Hall Garden, Rettendon, Essex.
18. 24th July 1994 Blake Hall, Bobbingworth, Essex.
19. 24th Sept 1995 Hopefield Animal Sanctuary, Brentwood, Essex.
20. 21st July 1996 Duxford Imperial Aircraft Museum, Duxford, Cambridgeshire.
21. 20th July 1997 Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex.
22. 26th July 1998 Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex.
23. 25th July 1999 Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex.
24. 23th July 2000 Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex.
25. 22nd July 2001 Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex.
26. 21st July 2002 Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex.
27. 20th July 2003 Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex.
28. 25th July 2004 Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex.
29. 24th July 2005 Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex.
30. 23rd July 2006 Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex.
31. 22nd July 2007 Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex.
32. 20th July 2008 Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex.
33. 26th July 2009 Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex.
34. 25th July 2010 Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex.
35. 24th July 2011 Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex.
36 22nd July 2012 Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex.
37 21st July 2013 Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex.
38 27th July 2014 Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex
39 26th July 2015 Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex
40 24th July 2016 Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex
41 23rd July 2017 Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex
42 29nd July 2018 Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex ** confirmed
43 21st July 2019 Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone, Essex
There has always been a raffle so we wanted to continue this but make it a bit easier to manage. It ensures costs are covered and is easier to manage by pre registering.